Sunday 30 June 2013

Survivor Profile: Bernie's Story


Why she's proud to wear purple and be a member of the organising committee!

“I felt good getting involved in our first Relay as I had done a lot of charity work in the past. I didn't realize though how big it really was until I got involved with the committee and experienced my first Relay last year as joint Survivor Chair. It really blew me away. Here was I getting involved to give something back and send gratitude to my family, friends, doctors, and medical staff but what I got in return was - wow - a real emotional, feel good feeling. It was fantastic to see so many survivors there - around 480 and this year we had 458 registered.

Relay is mainly all about survivors and spreading hope for others going through similar experience. They definitely spread hope - so much so that when I contacted them this year to participate they had no hesitation to join. Those who attended last year but had got a diagnosis since had a positive attitude as they remembered last year’s event. Two ladies who were survivors last year came up to me at the end of the event and said they did not want to go home as they knew they would be so lonely. They had such a good time and made so many friends. This for me was what made me realise that it was a success. The money part takes second place to me and the people take first. I was delighted to hear that those who had gone through such worry and treatment could begin to enjoy themselves again.

The Relay track turns into a field of stories for survivors. They can release all their emotions during the 24 hours. They cry, laugh, enjoy life, think of sad times etc. and this is all part of the healing process. They can tell their stories to others whom they never met before and feel good afterwards.

Seeing people do this and feel good about themselves again, gave me so much satisfaction. As a survivor, I see this is what people need to keep them motivated. They forget their own worries once they step onto the track as they are doing this for others. After all, isn't this what life should be about - helping others?

I am really glad I got involved and it always makes me feel good when I see others feeling good."

No comments:

Post a Comment